Thursday, June 3, 2010

Garden Evenings

I was lucky enough to go out to the garden alone tonight to check on things and have a few moments of peace after a long week alone with kids (thanks Mom!). I've decided 5:30 pm is my new favorite time in the garden. The sun has gone down just a bit and the world looks and feels just perfect. We've had some nice rain this week so I'm not sure about anyone else, but I haven't had to water.

Things are starting to perk up, especially the tomatoes and squash. And, we have a bitty-baby broccoli emerging from the leaves! Whoohoo!

The strawberry transplants are looking a little weak, perhaps the transfer was too much for them or perhaps we're getting past the season for them, I hope they'll make it a little longer. The beans and radish seeds are growing nicely and many of the basil and lettuce seeds are poking though. It's kind of hard to tell how the carrot seeds are doing as we are in need of some serious weeding. Hopefully we can tell as they get a little bigger. I was able to weed a bit around the basil and radishes but a cute kitty friend kept laying down right where I was trying to weed...so I gave in and played with him instead.

Maybe we can get a group of us to have a weeding party soon. I like the idea of straw too as that will kill off many of these weeds but we need the seedlings to get a bit bigger still.
We're in the process of arranging with Fr. Walter to come to the blessing, so we'll keep you posted. Looking forward to more evenings in the garden soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment