Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Pesto Recipe

With all of this beautiful basil, I just wanted to share my recipe for pesto in case anyone didn't have one yet.

2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
3 T walnuts or sunflower seeds (pine nuts are too darn expensive!)
2 1/2 c fresh basil leaves
1/2 c olive oil (added very slowly)
1/2 parmesan cheese
1/2 t salt

Combine all in a food processor and enjoy!

I also had a couple pictures . . . the first is of the garden about a month ago. Amazing how much bigger it is now!


Passenger seat coming home from a berry-and-basil-picking trip (also about a month ago) . . .


I think my tomatoes will be the last of the group's to ripen, but I am getting so excited about them.  We have one better boy plant and one yellow pear plant.  I think I sent the yellow pear one into shock by trying to stuff it into a cage after it was too big.  It still has some fruit on it, but I think I damaged the plant and really hurt our yield on that one.  Live and learn to make tomato cages an early priority!  Our red plant seems to be making up for the loss, though - I counted 26 green tomatoes on it yesterday!

We're also still waiting for our peppers to ripen.  They're big and green right now, but we're waiting for them to turn red and orange, so there's still a little time to go.  We have a couple swiss chard plants that are making it so far, and a couple beets.  At first I couldn't distinguish the two, but they're finally getting big enough to show their differences.  I think it will still be a long time, though, before either will be ready to eat.  Our sunflowers along the fence somehow got the tops chopped off - I'm guessing by deer - so I'm not sure they will continue to grow.  We'll just wait and see!

I'm looking forward to planting lettuce and spinach when this heat starts to lift a little.  Bring on the rain today!

No comments:

Post a Comment